Thursday, July 20, 2023

Barbie

I wasn't much of a doll person as a kid, and I never had a Barbie. I did have a Penny Brite who was kind of an off-brand Skipper:  no curves, no boyfriends, and many fewer outfits and accessories. My kids never had Barbies either, that is until my husband after relating this (perhaps interpreted as bragging) to his siblings, my older daughter was mysteriously gifted three or four of them, including Tooth Fairy Barbie,  Working Girl Barbie (with laptop, file folders and a skirt that reversed from pencil to pouffy for the perfect day-into-night transformation) and another who could only be described in her Daisy Dukes and midriff as Hooker Barbie.  

So I can't really get into the whole hoopla around the Barbie movie coming out this week or the idea of dressing myself or redecorating my house with the Barbiecore aesthetic. But as a longtime appreciator of lawn garnish (more on that in posts to come), I am impressed by the creativity and hard work of the residents of 1454 Q Street NW whose Barbie Pond has its own Instagram account and an everchanging display of Barbies at work and play.  


This week, Barbie has on her signature pink and white checked dress, looking more ready to go to the movies than to the beach with Ken in his pink convertible. I'm not totally sure about the army of Barbies in the pond below the house but at least they look like they are having fun. 

The other day, she and her friends were serving on the Supreme Court. Think of the decisions that they would hand down. Perhaps life in plastic would be fantastic.



No comments:

Post a Comment