Friday, July 14, 2023

Found Object

Months ago, the only slotted spoon in my kitchen disappeared. It wasn't anything special but was handy to have for dishing out marinated cucumbers and pickled beets.  I don't even know where it came from originally, although I'm guessing it came with my husband when we combined our household wares some 35 years ago.  

It wasn't in the dishwasher or the dish rack, nor in the silverware drawer or the two utensil drawers. After awhile, I just assumed that it had gotten thrown out by accident. And with my birthday coming up, I put a slotted spoon on my list, sending a link to my husband for one that matches our flatware.

Then this morning, I was making a blueberry tart and pulled the essentials out of the pantry, putting them on  the counter to measure out. And there it was, stuck in the bag of powdered sugar, with the twist tie that closed the plastic bag wrapped around the handle of the spoon, presumably last used to dust a cake or pie.

I've gotten used to missing socks and to walking into a room and then wondering why I'm there but this was next level. At least it wasn't the car keys, or an important document, bottle of medication, or a child. And the good news is that if I get a new one as a present soon, I'll have backup the next time around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment