Monday, December 11, 2023

Martin Weil is a National Treasure

You are probably wondering who Martin Weil is and why someone you've probably never heard of should be considered a national treasure.  But feast your eyes on this from the Sunday Washington Post:




At a time when weather reports focus on the sensational, Weil, a longtime reporter for the Washington Post's metro section, takes the mundane and makes it special.  I'd call these pieces tone poems but the specific details on weather metrics keep them in the realm of reportage.

How he does this day after day is beyond me so I reached out (actually twice) to learn more from the man himself. But he never responded, leaving me to imagine his motivations and source of inspiration.  I have a lot of bones to pick with The Washington Post these days, as it lays off seasoned reporters and cuts back on local coverage in its quest to be recognized as the national paper of record. But the fact that Weil is still doing his thing gives me hope.

Thank you Martin Weil for sharing your insights, lyrical prose, and detailed reporting.




No comments:

Post a Comment